Thursday, April 28, 2011

Proactiv For Men


What? I chose to reposition the acne treatment product Proactiv towards men. Proactiv’s advertisements all feature soft pastel colors, and it is endorsed mainly by women celebrities or male celebrities (Justin Bieber) who appeal mainly to women. The packaging design features very soft rounded edges and soft colors to appeal to women.


Who? The target audience for my product reposition will be men who suffer from acne and men who care about their appearance. The type of men who purchase this product will be those who are around people all the time, from work related events to social gatherings. Through my research I found out that the median age of men who suffer with acne is 26.5.


Where? This product will be sold at retail stores that sale men’s clothing and also men’s cologne. I’m thinking of places like Macy’s, Urban Outfitters, JCPenney, etc. I think it is also necessary to have an option to be able to buy online. Acne problems is something people are embarrassed about so having the option to buy confidentially from the privacy of your home, will motivate some people to purchase the product.


Why? According to WebMD, there are “17 million adults in the U.S. have acne, with 25% of them being men.” I feel that men do not have options when it comes to buying certain “beauty” products to take care of acne. Proactiv seems to be a good product for acne, but it is aimed more towards women. After doing some research I found a video of Katie Rodan, cofounder of Proactiv, explaining how they conducted market research for their product. She specifically says that they had a focus group of 30 women. Even though I don’t have the resources (or motivation) to conduct a focus group of 30 men, I’ll use techniques learned in graphic design to rebrand the product to appeal to men.


How? I want a masculine product design and packaging for the ‘manly’ version of Proactiv. I will use bold fonts, darker colors, and maybe experiment with different finishes for the product such as brushed metal. I will make a magazine ad and design it to fit in a GQ Magazine. A website layout will also be part of my promotional designs. Packaging will most likely be my third choice for promotional design because I think that’s going to be the most important element to attract male customers. For my final promotional design I will choose a billboard, bus stop poster or maybe some ads that will be places in men’s restrooms at clubs, bars, stadium and music venues.


Katie Rodan Lecture (Cofounder of Proactiv)
http://academicearth.org/lectures/market-research

Webmd
http://men.webmd.com/guide/acne-treatments-men


1 comment:

  1. I can see how Proactiv could use improving for man consumers. As far as ascetics goes to mimic the look of brand name colognes can work really well.

    ReplyDelete